Student Internship in Policy and Advocacy
Student internship in policy and advocacy
For 6 months, September 2019 - February 2020
CONCORD is the European confederation of Relief and Development NGOs. With the support of our 55 members, our confederation, representing over 2,600 NGOs, is the main interlocutor with the EU institutions on development policy and international cooperation. We are a not for profit organisation, registered under Belgian law as an a.i.s.b.l - Association Internationale Sans But Lucratif - (An international not for profitassociation).
CONCORD is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard torace,colour,religion,creed,gender,nationalorigin,age,disability,maritalorveteranstatus,sexual orientation,oranyotherlegallyprotectedstatus.Allemploymentdecisionsaremadeentirelyonmerit. We strongly encourage persons with disabilities toapply.
We are looking for a person who: is passionate, motivated, creative, cooperative, and committed and would like to gain valuable work experience and contribute to the work of a confederation of NGOswhosevisionisofaworldinwhichpovertyandinequalityhavebeenended;inwhichdecisions are based on social justice, gender equality and upon our responsibility to future generations; where every person has the right to live in dignity, sustainably, on an equal basis, free frompoverty.
As an intern, you will support CONCORDs Policy and Advocacy work. You will work within our Policy
and Advocacy team under the supervision of two Policy and Advocacy colleagues.
Main learning objectives
- You will be able to acquire a good understanding of decision-making processes in EU institutions as well as the ways of working in an EU NGO confederation, bringing together networks and national platforms from across the EuropeanUnion.
- You will be able to obtain knowledge about EU developmentpolicies
- You will be able to build your policy analysis and advocacy skills, including drafting relevant documents, enhancing the engagement of members in order to develop and advocate for CONCORDs positions, monitoring EU institutional policy processes, drafting minutes of meetings
- You will be able to enhance your coordination skills, process management skillsand
- All while working in an international, multiculturalenvironment.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The role involves supporting the work related to the implementation of CONCORDs policy and advocacyworkintermsofmonitoringkeypolicyprocessesandcoordinatingourrelevantmembersin the collective policy and advocacy work vi-à-vis the different EU institutions. Assist with the preparation of communication material, e.g. regularnewsletters.
- Supportthepolicy,advocacy,communicationandlogisticalworkwithinCONCORDonspecific topics you will be workingon
- Participate in and contribute to the coordination within the Policy and Advocacy team and with other departments and contributing to generic policy and advocacywork.
- Staff coordination andwork:
- Participate in staff coordination meetings and contribute to generic staffwork.
Conditions of Employment - PLEASE, READ THIS CAREFULLY
The internship must be part of a school curricula; the intern must be enrolled in a study programme during the internship.
The school/ institute/ University must provide an internship convention that will be signed between the intern, the school and CONCORD at the beginning of the internship.
Theinternshipwilltakeplacein2019and2020(fulltime5daysaweek),basedinBrussels,Belgium. It is unpaid. The intern must be enrolled in a university or higher education institute and in an exchange programme that will subsidise the internship so that all living expenses and insurance costsarecoveredforthedurationoftheassignment.CONCORDisgivingastudentallowanceof100 euro/month + reimbursing public transporttickets.
The interns performance will be monitored and evaluated according to the process required by
his/her school or university.
Qualification and Experience
ü The interns university studies or equivalent in development studies, political science, EU or other relevantstudies
ü Ability to organize ones own work and manage ones owntime;
ü Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with others and towards sharedobjectives;
ü Ability to work under pressure and towards tightdeadlines;
ü Analytical and problem solvingskills;
ü Capacity to research, synthesize and analyseinformation;
ü Excellent interpersonal and communicationskills;
ü Eager to take initiative;
ü Excellent spoken and writtenEnglish;
ü Good spoken and written French would be anasset;
ü Strong computerskills.
Please submit your CV and cover letter (in English) setting out your reasons for applying for the internship and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role by the 6th of August 2019 to email@example.com
Please indicate clearly in the subject line of your email: APPLICATION FOR POLICY AND ADVOCACY INTERNSHIP
Short listing and interviews:
Short listing is based on CV and cover letter. Successful candidates will be asked to attend a face to face or skype interview.
Please note that due to the large number of expected applications only successful candidates will be contacted. In advance, we thank all candidates for their interest.
ClosingDate: 6 August2019
Interviewdates: 9-12 August2019
Aimedstartingdate: 2 September2019
Mardi 06 aout 2019
T. +32 (0)2 743.87.60